The Authority of Jesus Challenged
One day, as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders came up 2 and said to him, “Tell us by what authority you do these things, or who it is that gave you this authority.” 3 He answered them, “I also will ask you a question. Now tell me, 4 was the baptism of John from heaven or from man?” 5 And they discussed it with one another, saying, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ 6 But if we say, ‘From man,’ all the people will stone us to death, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.” 7 So they answered that they did not know where it came from. 8 And Jesus said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.”
The Parable of the Wicked Tenants
9 And he began to tell the people this parable: “A man planted a vineyard and let it out to tenants and went into another country for a long while. 10 When the time came, he sent a servant to the tenants, so that they would give him some of the fruit of the vineyard. But the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. 11 And he sent another servant. But they also beat and treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty-handed. 12 And he sent yet a third. This one also they wounded and cast out. 13 Then the owner of the vineyard said, ‘What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him.’ 14 But when the tenants saw him, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir. Let us kill him, so that the inheritance may be ours.’ 15 And they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? 16 He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.” When they heard this, they said, “Surely not!” 17 But he looked directly at them and said, “What then is this that is written: “‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’? 18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”
Paying Taxes to Caesar
19 The scribes and the chief priests sought to lay hands on him at that very hour, for they perceived that he had told this parable against them, but they feared the people.
Sermon NotesLuke 20-1-to-19
Sequence of Events
|Sequence of Events|
|MC welcomes members and recites opening prayer.|
|MC introduces worship leader, Nathan Drake|
|Worship leader sings first three songs.|
|Worship Leader introduces Pastor Doug Lay.|
|Pastor Lay delivers the message.|
|MC steps up and offers a communion prayer and announces communion.|
|MC requests offerings and delivers announcements while offering is collected.
1. Everyday Fellowship is supporting a number of missionary families. You can donate directly to their mission with a separate check or designated cash amount through Everyday Fellowship. The missions we support are listed on everydayfellowship.org
2. Ken Baehr distributes coats, hoodies, clothing, jeans and shoes to the homeless and people in shelters. If you have extra clothing or shoes, please give them to Ken or drop them by the tech booth. We need sizes "large" and bigger.
3. The men of Everyday Fellowship are invited to the a prayer meeting at 7:00pm at Ken & Sue Baehr's house, See everydayfellowship.org for more information and directions.
4. The women of Everyday Fellowship are invited to a Monday evening Bible Study titled "Art Inspired By His Words", hosted by Connie Cline. Start time is 6:30pm. See Connie Cline or Sue Baehr for directions
5. Prayer requests are listed in the bulletin. The cut-off for new requests is 5:00PM Wednesday evening. Please keep our folks in your prayers.
6. Announcements are posted on the Everyday Fellowship Facebook group and at EverydayFellowship.org. The worship song lyrics are also published on the website, along with the sermon notes for today's sermon.
After announcements, if collections are still being made, worship team plays background music.
|MC says closing prayer.|
|Worship Leader sings final worship song and dismisses congregation.|
|MC = emcee
WL = Nathan Drake
- What A Friend We Have In Jesus
- Jesus Paid It All
- Great Are You Lord
- 10,000 Reasons